Are bugs bugging you? They are called pests for a reason. Every bug has a special ability to adapt so that it can live and thrive in and around our homes. One of the most pesky pests is the termite – they cause an estimated $2 Billion dollars in damage per year!
– The total weight of all of the termites in the world is greater than the weight of all the humans in the world.
– Termites have been around since the time of the dinosaurs.
– Termites eat non-stop: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
– Termites are social insects and raise their young as a group.
– Termites have wings that they shed once they find a good place to build a nest.
The Formosan Termite
An invasive species called the Formosan termite lives in 11 U.S. states, including South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Its nickname is the “super termite” because of its destructive habits.
– Formosans live in huge underground colonies. They also build mud nests inside of walls and can live on boats.
– Formosan termite colonies can be up to 300 feet long and there can be tens of thousands of them in a single colony.
– Formosan termites eat wood and fabric made from plants.
To avoid an infestation of any termite type, make sure water drains away from your house and keep damp wood away from your home. If you do experience an infestation, however, contact our Lexington pest control experts immediately.