Even though summer is coming to an end, pests are still enjoying the warm temperatures and an infestation could be right around the corner.
Our Sumter, Columbia, and Charleston pest control experts have put together a list of simple things you can do around your home or office to prevent an infestation:
1. Ants love leftovers, so store food in airtight containers like Tupperware or jars with rubber seals on the lids.
2. Keep a tight lid on your trash can at all times and move the trash to an outside dumpster as soon as possible.
3. Inspect your home or office for cracks or holes in walls, your foundation, and vents. If you find any, fill or seal them as soon as possible to prevent termites, roaches, and other pests.
4. Inspect dried food packages (when possible) for worms, beetles, moths, and other pests before you buy them.
5. Landscaping that comes in contact with your home or office give pests an easier way indoors, so keep your trees and bushes away from the building.
6. Fix any leaking pipes, faucets, appliances, etc. Standing water can attract many different types of pests.
7. Clean your counter tops, tables, and floors on a regular basis to prevent crumbs or food buildup.
8. If you don’t have screens on your windows or storm doors, install some. You’ll be able to let fresh air in without worrying about pests.
9. Beetles and termites love wood, so eliminate any scrap wood inside or outside your home or office.
10. Keep your home clutter-free. Pests love hiding out in dark areas, so the more clutter you have, the more homes they have to choose from.
11. Use pest control products like zappers, sprays, sticky paper, and more to prevent the problem from getting bigger.
12. Before they come inside, check your pets for fleas. Once fleas are indoors, they can easily spread.
13. Vacuum your home or office frequently to eliminate pests and/or pest eggs.
14. Use citronella candles when outdoors to prevent mosquitoes.
15. Resist using wood mulch for your landscaping. Instead, try gravel or rock.
If you’ve tried these tactics, but are still experiencing a pest infestation, call our Sumter, Columbia, or Charleston pest control office right away. We’ll evaluate your home or office and get your pest problem under control.