‘Tis the season of decorating, shopping, holiday movie watching and most importantly lots of baking. While you’re looking through the pantry and drawers for those cute Christmas tree cookie cutters make sure you take steps to prevent pests from getting into your cookie ingredients. “Pantry pests” are a common kitchen distress. These small insects gather around foods that are often kept in pantries.
The two most common “pantry pests” are the Indian Meal Moths and the Merchant Grain Beetles. Indian Meal Moths are often found in cereal, bread, spices, pasta, rice, and dried fruits. Merchant Grain Beetles can also be found in cereal and pasta, but also in cake mixes, chocolate, and cookies.
How to Prevent Them
Here at Ledford’s, our Lexington pest control experts would like to give you a few pointers on how to avoid these holiday insects from making your cookies crumble:
- Check the expiration date on all baking goods.
- Store food in air-tight containers.
- Check your kitchen for any moisture sights such as a leaky pipe or clogged drain.
- Put a bay-leaf in your dry products like flour to repel insects.
- Finally, make sure to clean the counter tops are clean of crumbs after cooking to prevent pests from entering your house.
A Great Cookie Recipe
We want your family to have a wonderful and pest-free holiday season! In addition to our Lexington pest control tips, we’d like to give you a simple holiday cookie bar recipe that’s sure to please all your family and friends, courtesy of FoodNetwork.com!
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated chocolate chip, sugar or peanut butter cookies
- Ready-to-spread frosting
- Assorted sprinkles
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan, break up cookie dough and press dough evenly in pan with floured fingers.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 45 minutes. If desired, frost or decorate using ready-to-spread frosting and sprinkles. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store tightly covered.
For a fun cookie tray, frost bars using a variety of prepared frostings and sprinkles.