Keep Them Scratch-Free This Season
At Ledford’s Pest Control, we know how important it is to keep your home free from pests, but we also know how important your pets can be. After all, if you have a dog or cat, the last thing you want is to see them suffer from pests like fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes. Here, our pest control specialists have a few tips for protecting them this spring and summer:
Common Pet Pests
Even though fleas are small, they’re usually easily visible on cats and dogs. Each time your pet comes in from outside, check his/her fur for small brown or black dots that are crawling or jumping around. Also take note of your dog or cat’s habits – if they seem to be scratching and/or grooming themselves more frequently, they may have fleas.
While fleas can jump onto your pest, ticks can only attach themselves if your pet brushes up against them. These pests are usually found in brushy or wooded areas, so if your pet tends to explore the outdoors, make sure you inspect them when they come back inside. Ticks attach themselves to the skin, so give your pet a thorough examination and look for brown or black pests less than 1/4 millimeter in size.
Just like humans, pets can be bitten by mosquitoes as well. If you find your dog or cat scratching frequently and you don’t find any fleas, it may be a mosquito bite. These pests are often found near water including creeks, bird baths, puddles, and standing water in buckets, old tires, and more.
Follow some of these tips to help prevent fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes from affecting your pet:
- Fleas like humidity and shade, so try to reduce the amount of shade around your home or in the areas your pet likes to roam.
- Groom and bathe your pet on a regular basis to keep them pest-free.
- Remove sources of standing water – these can be easy breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Treat your dog or cat with flea, tick, and/or mosquito prevention treatments to help lessen their risk.
- Vacuum, wash, and dry your pet’s bedding (both indoor and outdoor) on a regular basis.
If you have a pest problem that doesn’t just affect your pet but it also affects your home, don’t hesitate to give our pest control specialists a call. We can inspect your home, determine your problem, and get rid of it as soon as possible.