Pests can affect more than just homes and office buildings – they can also affect businesses like restaurants. When a restaurant has a pest problem, finding a pest control company to eliminate the infestation may not be their only issue. They could suffer from unhappy customers, bad ratings, low sanitation scores, and more.
If you’re a restaurant owner, there are several habits you can develop to prevent pest infestations, including:
- Before accepting food shipments, inspect them for any signs of pests.
- Store food in airtight storage containers and keep them off of the floor and at the proper temperature.
- Don’t leave bulk food in cardboard containers, as they can attract cockroaches.
- Make sure your employees know where the grease traps are and that they’re cleaned out on a regular basis.
- Store your food on a first-in, first-out basis so that the oldest foods are used first and nothing is kept longer than it should be.
- Regularly clean any spills, food scraps, and crumbs from counters, shelves, floors, and other surfaces.
- Keep your trash bins tightly covered and empty them often.
- Make sure your dumpster is away from your back door and that the lid is fitted on it tightly.
- Regularly clean the inside and outside of your trash bins, as food can easily collect in many areas.
- Don’t keep your doors or windows propped open. This can invite outdoor pests inside.
- Make sure your door seals are tight and install door sweeps if there are gaps between the bottom of your doors and the floor.
- Fix any holes, cracks, or crevices in your walls and floors.
- If you have leaks in your sinks, pipes, or dishwasher, fix them quickly to eliminate excess moisture.