Pest Guide for Rodents
Types of Rodents
When it comes to rodent infestations, the most common types are rat and mouse infestations. Once these pests are inside your home, they can multiply quickly and can be very difficult to get rid of. That’s why we suggest calling Ledford’s. We’ll take care of your infestation fast so you won’t have to worry about rats or mice anymore.
Rats vs. Mice
The easiest way to distinguish a rat from a mouse is by size – rats are around 8-9 inches long while mice are much smaller (around 1-4 inches long). However, the small size of young rats can be confused for mice. Other distinguishing factors are their ears and tail. A mouse’s ears and tail will be much larger in proportion to its body than the ears and tail of a rat’s body.
Diet & Habits
Both rats and mice eat grains like cereals, oats, breads, and more as well as fruits. While mice and brown rats tend to seek food in the same places, black rats tend to look in many different places for food, which tends to make baiting much harder. Rats may also feed on meat scraps or even pet food and mice may also feed on chocolate, peanut butter, and seeds.
Both rats and mice tend to hide in walls, attics, trees, and other dark areas, making them difficult to detect unless you discover signs of an infestation.
Infestation Signs & Prevention
If you think you may have a rodent infestation, look for these signs:
- Rats or mice themselves
- Droppings that are dark brown or black and are cylindrical (rats) or granular (mice)
- Nesting materials (fabric, shredded paper, dried plant matter)
- Holes or damaged food packaging, walls, or floors
- A stale smell that comes from a hidden area
No one wants to deal with rats or mice in their home or office. Here are a few prevention tips to help you avoid an infestation:
- Seal any holes you may have that lead from the outside to the inside of your home or building
- Make sure your garbage cans have tight-fitting lids
- Keep your kitchen and pantry clean
- Set rodent traps
If you do discover an infestation, don’t hesitate to call our pest control experts today.