Swarming ants versus Swarming termites
Swarming ants are termites are often confused, this picture shows the difference:
- Don’t affix wooden trellises to exterior walls.
- Keep mulch, wood debris, scrap lumber, sawdust, and firewood away from your home. If you do keep firewood outside your house during the winter, keep it raised off the ground.
- Trim all shrubs, bushes and other dense greenery away from the foundation of your home. Move mulch away from the foundation as well.
- Don’t bury wood debris near your home.
- Remove infested trees and stumps.
- Repair leaking faucets and water lines, both indoors and outdoors.
- Fix leaky roofs and gutters.
- Don’t allow leaves to accumulate in gutters and drains.
- Grade soil so that water (including air conditioning condensate) runs away from foundations.
- Ventilate crawl spaces and attics to reduce humidity.
- Cover at least 90% of the soil in crawl spaces with plastic sheeting.
- Ideally, wood siding, stucco, and foam board should be at least six inches away from the ground.
- Seal all cracks and holes in your home’s foundation, which may provide a handy access point for termites.